Saturday, January 10, 2015

Hello, 2015

I cannot believe another year has come and gone. So much has happened this year and I've been tossing and turning in an attempt to reflect on everything. There were so many changes in 2014 and I'm actually really looking forward to starting off this new year. I'm not one for resolutions, and having been a student all my life, I always felt more of a new year vibe in September, but I'm definitely ready for a fresh start.

The year got off to a pretty slow start. I honestly can't remember much of it aside from really diving back into life at home. I was consumed by work, school and volunteering and balancing all of that took most of my energy. Things definitely picked up in the summer. I loved doing research in my summer class and actually applying the things I have learned throughout my degree. I started a new job, which I've thoroughly enjoyed, and which has led to so many unexpected surprises along the way. In May I was lucky enough to get away to LA for a few days. It was the perfect trip and the break that I needed from everything here; I would do it all again in a heartbeat. In August we spent a weekend in Portland and I got to experience the city in a way that I never had before. I loved waking up and exploring new spots every day and it reminded me of how much I love experiencing new things. A couple of weekend getaways in September further solidified these feelings.

When December rolled around I felt like I was caught off guard. I couldn't quite come to terms with how quickly the last 12 months had passed and that a lot of things were coming to a close. When I think about the entirety of the last month, two words come to mind: intoxicating and bittersweet. I officially completed my undergraduate degree and said goodbye (for now) to the school. The university really has grown to be a place where I feel at home and I've been so lucky to meet so many amazing people in my time there, it was more difficult than I anticipated to leave. On the other hand, I'm beyond thrilled about finally being done and real freedom. I celebrated by taking another trip to LA and spending a week soaking up the warm weather. It was nice to have the time that we did and although saying goodbye was rough, I left feeling hopeful; there have only been good memories. The rest of the year was jam-packed with family and friends and getting in as much as I can before I take off again.

I just arrived in Hong Kong and will be spending the next 5 months here. I can't wait to travel and explore again. I'll be looking for work of some sort, but the butterflies I get from not having any solid plans makes me very, very excited. It feels good to be close to the people I've had to say goodbye to again and I'm beyond grateful to be privileged enough to get to spend more time here. I should be sleeping now to fix my jetlag, but my mind is still racing a million miles a minute as I begin to consider what the next 5 months, and rest of the year has in store. I'm ready to lace up and run head first into whatever comes my way. 

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment