Monday, May 25, 2015

Unexpected Adventures

Last week I packed my bags and headed to Singapore and Vietnam for a few days. I didn't have much of a plan and was ready to just go with the flow when I arrived. My layover in Singapore was long, but thankfully it was a beautiful airport with lots to do. Wish I had a chance to go out and see the city but the timing didn't quite work out. I guess that just gives me an excuse to go back!

Flying out of Ho Chi Minh City.
As for Vietnam, when I arrived I had no plan and very little sleep so I headed straight to the hostel to check in and drop off my things. The moment I walked in the door I felt completely at home. I rinsed off, changed, and joined everyone for breakfast. The place felt incredibly warm and I knew then that it would be hard to leave. An hour later, I was on the back of a moped with people that I had just met. We ended up exploring Saigon for the next 10 hours and I had the most amazing day. 

The little lake resort that we spent our afternoon at.
We visited the market and walked through the aisles that sold everything from fresh seafood and hot meals to clothing and accessories. Our next destination was this little lake resort where we sat down with cold drinks and tried all the fruits we picked up at the market. It was incredible to sit out on the dock and watch all the plants float by. After that we headed over to a fishing spot where we didn't catch any fish, but had some really great food. After that, we popped down the road to go shrimp fishing. We ended up hanging out there for quite some time before heading back to the city. When we got back to the city we visited Little Tokyo and the city centre and just walked around. After that we called it a night. 

Boating through the mangrove forest.
My second day in Ho Chi Minh City was equally as amazing. We started off the day by heading to the backpackers' district where we had lunch. Then we drove out to Monkey Island - it was such a beautiful ride and so much fun to be in the rural areas. We got to the nature reserve where we got to feed the monkeys, boat through the mangrove forest and feed crocodiles. We boated out to this amazing area in the forest that had all these huts set up with descriptions about the war. It was better than being at a museum and something I won't forget. After Monkey Island we headed out to the beach to grab a snack before our long journey home. We finished off the night with one last dinner before I ended up falling asleep on the kitchen floor and waking up with a kitten hanging out on my head. 

Our lunch spot in the Backpackers' District.
I had the most incredible time in Vietnam and I am having serious withdrawals at the moment. It was the most amazing adventure and not having a plan really paid off. It was a holiday that I would never have even imagined having but I honestly would not change a thing. I fell in love with Vietnam and really wish now that I had more time there. I definitely want to go back and hopefully sooner rather than later. I'm so thankful that I met the most wonderful and warm people to share this adventure with. The highlight of my trip was definitely when we were on the country roads and the sun was setting, lightning was lighting up the sky, and I felt in the moment that there was no where else that I belonged more; I felt free. It all seems a bit surreal looking back on it now, but I suppose that's what made it perfect. 

xx. 

No comments:

Post a Comment